There will be two marches/demonstrations on Saturday, May 18, 2019 in Milan.
Event 1: Approximately 30,000 demonstrators will gather in support of the Lega party and its policies. The demonstration is sponsored by Lega.
Location: The demonstrators will initially gather at Porta Venezia at 12:00 pm. A large march will then commence at 3:00 pm, starting at Corso Venezia, proceeding towards Piazza Oberdan, San Babila, Corso Matteotti, Piazza della Scala, before concluding at Piazza Duomo at 7:00 pm (please see red path on map below).
Event 2: Approximately 5,000 demonstrators will gather to demonstrate against Lega and its policies. The demonstration is sponsored by “Non Una di Meno.”
Location: Beginning at 2:00 pm, the demonstrators will begin their march at Largo Cairoli, moving toward Via Carducci, Colonne di San Lorenzo, Univeristà Statale, and concluding at Giardini della Guastalla (please see blue path on map below).
There will be a large deployment of police and Carabinieri closely monitoring both events.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local media for updates
- Avoid the areas in the vicinities noted
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gathering or protest
- U.S. Consulate General, Milan, Italy
- +39 02 290 351 (24/7)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888407-4747 or 202 501 4444
- Italy Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter