Location: Various potential locations throughout Italy.
Event: The potential for anti-COVID lockdown and anti-COVID vaccine demonstrations exists in many cities throughout Italy. On April 6, 2021 outside Piazza di Montecitorio in Rome, groups of protestors faced off and clashed with police who responded with crowd control tactics and arrests. Italian authorities expect the potential for these kinds of demonstrations to continue in the coming weeks and possibly longer. There is also the potential for unsanctioned demonstrations, fueled by social media, that can begin with little or no notice.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas noted during protest activity.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gathering or protest.
- U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy
via Vittorio Veneto, 121
+39 06 46741
- U.S. Consulate General Milan
via Principe Amedeo, 2/10
- U.S. Consulate General Florence
Lungarno Vespucci, 38
- U.S. Consulate General Naples
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Italy Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates