DoD Civilian Employees

DoD Civilian Employees require a passport and a Mission visa in their Official (maroon) or No-Fee Regular (blue) passport for entry into Italy. Dependents and civilian component members MUST obtain a Mission visa and an official (maroon) or no-fee regular (blue) passport prior to entry into Italy.

Members must apply for their passport prior to requesting a visa. Recommend applying at least thirty (30) days prior to departure.

Passport and Visa Application Checklist
USAG Italy Passport Office
Aviano Passport Page

The Italian Mission Visa Application Guide for family members can be found here: Italian Mission visa guide

Visa Application

DoD civilian employees are required to apply for a Sojourner Permit, the Permesso di Soggiorno. This document is issued by the Italian government. A Sojourner Permit is a confirmation of your legal resident status in Italy, much like an American Green Card. If you do not have a visa upon arrival in Italy, you cannot obtain a Sojourner Permit. It is different from a visa, which is merely an approval for entry to the country. Italian law requires all foreign personnel working or living within Italy, other than an active-duty service members under military orders, to apply for a Sojourner Permit within eight days of arrival in Italy.

USAG Italy Soggiorno Information
RLSO EURAFSWA Soggiorno Information