Hosted since 1985 in the Montecatini Building designed by acclaimed Italian architect Gio Ponti, the Consulate General of the United States has enjoyed a long presence in the city of Milan. Opened in 1865 as a Consular Agency under the jurisdiction of the Consulate in Florence and subsequently Genoa, it became a full Consulate in 1874. A document dated 1879 states that the Consulate was located, even at that time, on via Principe Amedeo in the heart of downtown Milan. The current Consulate building overlooks Piazza Stati Uniti d’America, rededicated by the municipal council in memory of the victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
The Milan consular district spans all of Northern Italy, covering the regions of Liguria, Piedmont, Valle d’Aosta, Lombardy, Veneto, Trentino-Alto Adige, and Friuli-Venezia Giulia, as well as the provinces of Parma and Piacenza in the region of Emilia-Romagna.
Two Consular Agencies are active in the district, in Genoa and in Venice, and the first American Corner in Italy, was inaugurated in 2007 in Trieste.
The Consulate General in Milan employs both American and Italian staff divided into several sections and U.S. government agencies, some of which interact directly with the general public:
- The Consul General, a career diplomat appointed by the Department of State in Washington, is the chief diplomatic representative of the U.S. government in the consular district.
- The Consular Section offers a full range of passport and emergency services to U.S. citizens. It also processes non-immigrant visa applications.
- The Public Affairs Section handles media and cultural relations for the U.S. Consulate General in Milan.
- The Political/Economic Section is responsible for following political, economic and commercial issues in northern Italy.
- The U.S. Commercial Service promotes the exports of U.S. goods and services by providing a range of services to American firms interested in doing business in Italy, as well as to Italian firms interested in importing from the United States.
Thank you for visiting our website.