- Support NATO and U.S. national security policy objectives, and U.S. military stationed in Italy.
- Support U.S. and Italian national interests by fostering cooperation with NATO, Italian governmental and military agencies and organizations.
- Administer the U.S. Security Assistance Program for Italy.
- Facilitate cooperation in defense-related programs between the U.S. and Italy.
- Support U.S. industry in their defense-related equipment sales to Italy.
- Facilitate host nation logistics support for U.S. Forces operating in, or passing through Italy during exercises, contingency operations, or war.
- Coordinate infrastructure and in-country support requirements for U.S. Forces stationed in Italy.
- Provide advice, counsel and support as an integral part of the Ambassador’s country team.
- Ensure the smooth execution of all USEUCOM Operations based in or supported from Italy, including flow of forces deploying or re-deploying via Italy.
- Facilitate an increase in Foreign Military Sales and Direct Commercial Sales, giving equal weight to enhancement of Italian defense and coalition partner capability.
- Implement major initiatives to enhance U.S./Italian interoperability and/or compatibility.
- Consummate the U.S./Italian agreements which serve as a foundation for continued U.S. basing rights and large-scale facility modernization.
- Host or sponsor Italian participation in major events to promote U.S./Italian cooperation in defense activities.