Event: The Italian government has confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the country. Please review and follow the health decrees issued by the Government of Italy, including the need for social distancing, restrictions on movement outdoors, and the requirement to carry a self-certification document along with proper identification.
The CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g. grocery stores and pharmacies). Some commercial businesses and regional authorities in Italy might now require face covers. Please be aware of any local variations under Italian government health decrees and contact civil authorities if further information is needed.
Actions to Take:
- Call Italy’s 112 emergency number or 1500 if you believe you have symptoms and are currently in Italy. English speaking operators are available.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from Italy that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Italy.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
- Review the Italian National Institute of Health’s website (available only in Italian).
- Visit the Department of State’s webpage for U.S. travelers in Europe: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/schengen.html
- U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy
by phone: +39 06 46741
- U.S. Consulate General Milan
- U.S. Consulate General Florence
- U.S. Consulate General Naples
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Italy Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates