Event: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The CDC advises travelers to avoid all nonessential international travel. Please see CDC information regarding high-risk traveler categories. Although passport processing centers in the United States have suspended operations due to COVID-19, travelers with an immediate travel need and a confirmed flight to the United States may contact U.S. Embassy Rome or your local consulate and request an emergency passport appointment.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Call Italy’s112 emergency number or 1500 if you believe you have symptoms and are currently in Italy. English speaking operators are available.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from Italy that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Italy.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
- Review the Italian National Institute of Health’s website (available only in Italian).
- Visit the Department of State’s webpage for U.S. travelers in Europe: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/schengen.html
- U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy
by phone: +39 06 46741
- U.S. Consulate General Milan
- U.S. Consulate General Florence
- U.S. Consulate General Naples
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Italy Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates