Event: The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Italy recommending that travelers avoid all nonessential travel (including tourism) to Italy. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Health Notice for Italy due to COVID-19 concerns and similarly recommends that travelers defer all nonessential travel to Italy.
On October 7, 2020, the Italian government issued a new decree extending the COVID-19 state of emergency to January 31, 2021. Please visit the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for additional information on Italian government decrees and measures. Please continue to follow the three W’s: wash your hands, wear your mask, and watch your distance (six feet/two meters).
Actions to Take:
- Call Italy’s112 emergency number or 1500 if you believe you have symptoms and are currently in Italy. English speaking operators are available.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from Italy that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Italy.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
- Review the Italian National Institute of Health’s website (available only in Italian).
- Visit the Department of State’s webpage for U.S. travelers in Europe: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/schengen.html
- U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy
Via Vittorio Veneto, 121
+39 06 46741
- U.S. Consulate General Milan, Italy
Via Principe Amedeo, 2/10
- U.S. Consulate General Florence, Italy
Lungarno Vespucci, 38
- U.S. Consulate General Naples
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Italy Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates