Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

  1. Inter-Country Adoption
  2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents can apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.

Learn more about applying for a CRBA in Italy:

Fees and payment

The Passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) fees are a non-refundable processing fees and are retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport and CRBA are issued.

    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) – $100 or the euro equivalent
    • All minor applicants (under 16 years old)– $135 or the euro equivalent
  • Children’s passports (16 years and older) – $165 or the euro equivalent

Please note:  The cost of each photocopy performed at our office is $1 or 1.

We accept cash (euros and U.S. dollars) and all major credit cards. NOTE: We do not accept bancomat (ATM) and personal checks.
As Italian banks will not/not accept currency which is mutilated, discolored, decomposed, disintegrated, badly soiled or defaced we cannot accept such banknotes.

Certified Copies, Replacements, Amendments of CRBAs

The Embassy and Consulates cannot provide certified copies or replacements of a CRBA, nor can we amend a CRBA. For these requests, you should contact the State Department in the U.S. Please visit their website for instructions.