To apply for a Report of Birth Abroad for your child all parents and the child must be present at the interview. You must bring the following documents:
- Completed form DS-2029 – Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Please do not sign;
- If applying also for a passport:
- Original birth certificate issued by the Comune or Anagrafe listing the parents’ names.
- Birth certificates listing just the child and hospital birth registrations are not acceptable.
- If available, please request Modello Plurilingue (certificate in multiple languages).
- Please bring the original and 2 photocopies;
- If married, marriage certificate (original or certified true copy). Please bring the original and 1 photocopy;
- If previously married, the original or certified copy of divorce decree, or death certificate for all previous marriages. Please bring the original and 1 photocopy;
- Valid passport/identification document for the parent(s). Please bring the original and 2 photocopies of the bio page of the document;
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (passport, birth certificate, or Certificate of Naturalization) for the American parent(s). Please bring the original plus 3 copies of the bio page of the passport, or 1 photocopy of birth certificate or Certificate of Naturalization;
- Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, university transcripts and employment records.
- Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the U.S. required for your circumstances;
All foreign language documents presented must be accompanied by a simple English translation that does NOT have to be certified.