Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport

Replacing your lost or stolen passport is easy, and no appointment is necessary.  Please come to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate General to be issued an emergency passport as soon as possible after you note its loss. A limited validity passport can be issued the same day the application is made if the application is received before 12:00pm. Otherwise, it will be processed on the next business day. You must pay for your emergency passport at the time of application and it will be limited in validity, generally to one year, and cannot be extended.  You will be given instructions on how to exchange your limited validity passport for a full-validity passport at no extra charge when we deliver your new emergency passport to you.

You are advised to report the loss/theft to the local Italian police in the area in which it occurred. Although filing a police report is not a requirement to apply for an emergency passport, you may need it to file insurance claims or manage credit card charges.

In order to replace your passport you must bring with you:

Proof of U.S. Citizenship:  one valid form of photo identification (a certified, sealed birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization or expired U.S. passport, or driver’s license) and one photocopy should be presented if possible.

One passport photograph without glasses (taken within the last six months); photos can be obtained from a photo booth located in the consular sections in Rome and Naples for 6 euros and in Milan for 5 euros.

Completed form DS-11 and form DS-64. Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.

See also: Fees and forms of payment

For children’s lost passports; please note that both parents/guardians must appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing the passport issuance. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian must accompany the application along with a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID they presented to the notary public with Form DS-3053.  Please have this prepared before you apply for the passport.

If the child only has one parent/guardian, the original evidence of sole authority to apply for the child plus one photocopy must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

  • Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent
  • Photocopies and notarized copies are unacceptable

For more details, please see Children Under 16