Renewal Passports; Adults (age 16 and older)
You will need:
- Your most recent U.S. passport and one photocopy
- If your most recent U.S. passport is expired, one valid form of photo identification (e.g. foreign passport, driver’s license, military ID, etc.) and one photocopy
- One passport photograph without glasses (taken within the last six months); photos can be obtained from a photo booth located in the consular sections in Rome and Naples for 6 euros and in Milan for 5 euros.
- If your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years and when you were age 16 or over, complete a form DS-82. Otherwise, complete form DS-11 and make an appointment to appear in person. Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- If you are age 16 or 17, evidence of parental awareness and make an appointment to appear in person.
- Please follow this link for information on courier services.
To Submit Your Application in Person:
After you have completed and printed out the appropriate application form listed above, please schedule your appointment at the U.S. Embassy or one of the Consulates General.
Click here to apply for a passport in Rome
To schedule a passport appointment in Florence, click here
To schedule a passport appointment in Naples, click here
Click here to apply for a passport in Milan, Venice, or Genoa
See Also: Fees and forms of payment
To Submit Your Application by Mail with Online Fee Payment First See If You Are Eligible:
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals
To use the online payment system, you must answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued;
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;);
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Italy or the Republic of San Marino; and
- I am only applying for a passport book (I am not applying for a passport card).
If you do not meet these criteria, please see “Apply for a Passport” for instructions on making an appointment to submit a passport application in person at the Embassy or Consulate General nearest you.
If you do meet these criteria, please see instructions below.
Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment – for U.S. citizens residing in Italy and the Republic of San Marino
Step 1: A completed form DS-82 (complete online, print out single-sided, SIGN and date) *NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
Step 2: Obtain one WHITE background color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; no eyeglasses. See more information on photo requirements.
Step 3: Include one photocopy (color or black and white) of the data page of your current or expired U.S. passport.
Step 4: Include the passport you are renewing.
Step 5: Name change documents (if applicable) (original + 1 photocopy) If you would like to change the name on your new passport, please include proof of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order). Documents must be original and, if issued in a language other than English, must be accompanied by an official translation in English.
Step 6: Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site, Pay.gov. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package.
Step 7: Follow this link to purchase two-way shipping using DHL to mail passport applications to us and to receive your new passport at home.
Step 8: Mail all the above items to us using the DHL shipping label.
Your new passport will be delivered to you in approximately five weeks.
Please see this link for Frequently Asked Questions