Renewal Passports; Adults (age 16 and older)
You will need:
- Your most recent U.S. passport and one photocopy
- If your most recent U.S. passport is expired, one valid form of photo identification (e.g. foreign passport, driver’s license, military ID, etc.) and one photocopy
- One passport photograph without glasses (taken within the last six months); photos can be obtained from a photo booth located in the Consular building of the U.S. Embassy in Rome and the U.S. Consulate General in Milan for 5 euros
- If your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years and when you were age 16 or over, complete a form DS-82. Otherwise, complete form DS-11 Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- If you are age 16 or 17, evidence of parental awareness
- Applicants may pick up passports at the office where the application was submitted or through a private courier agency, Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE). Please follow this link for information on MBE.
To Submit Your Application in Person:
After you have completed and printed out the appropriate application form listed above, please schedule your appointment at the U.S. Embassy or one of the Consulates General.
To schedule a passport appointment in Rome, click here
To schedule a passport appointment in Florence, click here
To schedule a passport appointment in Naples, click here
To schedule a passport appointment in Milan, click here
To Submit Your Application by Mail:
Your passport may be renewed by mail only if:
- you are currently in Italy and have a mailing address in Italy
- your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years and when you were age 16 or over
- the passport you are submitting is not damaged
- completed shipping order form Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE). Please follow this link for information on MBE
If all of these requirements are met, you may mail your application package to the appropriate Consular office in your district. The application package should include all of the items noted above for an Adult renewal. Issuance usually takes three to four weeks.
See Also: Fees and forms of payment