Visa and Passport Guidance for Personnel Transferring to Italy

Note: Due to the high volume associated with the summer PCS season, issuance times increase to up to 6 weeks for official passports and up to 10 weeks for visas. Applications should be submitted as quickly as possible with particular care that the packets are complete and error-free to minimize the chance of delayed/late travel. If entry is attempted without the proper documentation, entry will be denied and return travel will be at the traveler’s expense and not at government expense.

U.S. Military members, government civilian employees, contractors, and their dependents live in Italy pursuant to the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). U.S. Military members stationed in Italy may enter Italy with their ID card and orders. They are not required to have a passport or a visa to enter and remain in Italy. However, U.S. Government civilian employees and all dependents who are not EU citizens are required to have an official or no-fee passport and Mission Visa to enter Italy. Within eight days of arrival dependents and civilian employees must apply for a Soggiorno Permit which certifies the member as a temporary legal resident of Italy. The Italian government issues these documents to those individuals who are here solely for the purpose of the U.S. Military mission and, therefore, have “SOFA protected” status.

Types of US Special Issuance Passports: Official (maroon), Diplomatic (black), No-Fee Regular (blue) and Service (grey).

Types of Passports
The Regular (blue) Passport, also known as “Tourist Passport” is not authorized for official PCS travel. All personnel should obtain (at their own expense) a Regular (Tourist) Passport prior to departure from CONUS. A Regular Passport is necessary for unofficial (personal) travel during or in conjunction with official overseas assignments. Additionally, a passport (any type) is required to apply for a codice fiscale, which is similar to a US social security number and is required to enter into mobile phone contracts, lease agreements, some motor vehicle transactions, and other interactions in the local economy.

Timelines for Passport and Visas
Official Passports are estimated to take about 4 – 6 weeks
Missione Visas are estimated to take about 8 – 10 weeks for the summer PCS season;
during off-peak periods, issuance occurs in 4 – 6 weeks

*It is critical that application packets are submitted complete and error-free; any errors in submissions will add time to the timelines above

**If at 4 weeks you have not received any information on your official passport application please contact your local passport office for assistance

***If at 8 weeks you have not received any updates on your visa application, please contact your local passport office as well as your gaining unit for assistance

The Foreign Clearance Guide can also be reviewed for entry requirements.

To find information on what is required for your unique situation and further information and the application process, please choose the link that best describes your position:

Uniformed Military Personnel
Family Members (Dependents)
DoD Civilian Employees
U.S. Government Contractors (Technical Representatives & Civilian Personnel)
Other USG Employees