Nonimmigrant Visas

The U.S. Mission to Italy understands that many visa applicants have paid the visa application processing fee and are still waiting to schedule a visa appointment. The U.S. Mission will extend the validity of your payment (known as the MRV fee) until September 30, 2023, to allow all applicants who were unable to schedule a visa appointment to schedule and/or attend a visa appointment with the already paid fee. Please visit the following page to see the next available visa appointment: . Nonimmigrant visa appointments are offered in Milan, Florence, Rome, and Naples. Appointments for non-residents of Italy are added weekly but are usually quickly booked. We encourage non-resident applicants to frequently check the appointment system at  to see if appointments are available.

Please visit our Global Support Services (GSS) website for complete information on applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.

The visa category depends on the purpose of your trip to the U.S. Here are the main nonimmigrant visa categories and their characteristics:

Business, tourism and medical care

Visas of B category (B1, B2, and B1 / B2) are intended for those who want to travel to the U.S. for business, tourism or to undergo medical treatment, but are not entitled to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.

  • If you plan on going to the U.S. for business or to attend meetings or conferences, you need a B1 visa.
  • If you plan on going to the U.S. as a tourist or to undergo medical treatment, you need a B2 visa.


If you are transiting the United States enroute to another country you need a C1 visa

Crew members

 If you plan to travel to the U.S. as a crew member of an aircraft or ship, you need a C1/D visa.

Trade or investment

If you plan to travel to the U.S. to start a business (import-export) of trade in services, or for investments, you need an E visa.


If you plan to travel to the U.S. to study, to attend an academic or vocational course of study at a school or university, you need an F or M visa.

Journalists and media representatives

If you plan to enter the United States as a journalist or media representative, you need an I visa.

Cultural Exchanges

 If you plan on going to the U.S. to participate in a cultural exchange program or for research purposes, you need a J visa.

Temporary workers

If you plan to go to the U.S. to work for a limited period of time, you may apply for an H, L, O, P, Q, or R visa, depending on the type of work you intend to carry out.

Diplomats, officials or military

If you plan to enter the U.S. on a diplomatic/official assignment, governmental or military in nature, you need an A, G, or NATO visa.

Self Service Internet Access

To access visa information and/or to schedule appointments using the Self Service internet option, please go to and follow the instructions.

Telephone Access

After visiting the  website, if you still need technical assistance with scheduling an appointment, please call the help desk  at the Italian number (+39) 06 9480 3777 or the US number 703-543-9310. You may also use Skype at skype-it_5. This service is available from Monday through Friday between 9:00am and 5:00pm, except on Italian holidays. There is no charge for the service, though you may have local or long distance phone call charges.

In the United States, call the Public Inquires Division at 1-202-485-7600 for general inquiries, application information, and for inquiries about J waiver status.

Appointments cannot be scheduled directly through the Embassy.


EMBASSY ROME – Visa Section

The Rome visa section serves the residents of the Rome visa district, which includes the Regions of: Lazio, Abruzzo, Sardegna, Umbria and Marche.

Mailing address: Via Vittorio Veneto 121 – 00187 ROMA
E-mail address for Non Immigrant Visa or (for E visa inquiries only)


The Milan visa section serves the residents of the Milan visa district, which includes the Regions of: Valle D’Aosta, Piemonte, Lombardia, Veneto, Trentino-Alto Adige, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Liguria and Emilia Romagna (Provinces of Piacenza and Parma only).

Mailing address: Via Principe Amedeo, 2/10 – 20121 MILANO
Visas inquiries? Please visit our visas navigator.


The Florence visa section serves the residents of the Florence visa district, which includes the Regions of: Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna (all except the Provinces of Piacenza and Parma) as well as the Republic of San Marino.

Mailing address: Lungarno Vespucci, 38 – 50123 FIRENZE
E-mail address for Non Immigrant Visa


The Naples Non Immigrant visa section serves the residents of the Naples visa district, which includes the Regions of: Campania, Molise, Basilicata, Puglia, Calabria, and Sicilia

The Naples Immigrant visa section provides Immigrant Visa services Italy-wide.

Mailing address: Piazza della Repubblica – 80122 NAPOLI
E-mail address for Non Immigrant Visa
E-mail address for Immigrant Visa


Due to the volume of inquiries, Visa Services cannot promise an immediate reply to your inquiry by e-mail.

To serve you better, please indicate the subject of your inquiry on the subject line (e.g., student visa, visitor visa, worker visa, spouse visa, affidavit of support, etc.).

Under current visa regulations most applicants must appear personally at a U.S. embassy or consulate for an interview before a visa may be issued. Interviews are by appointment only and cannot be scheduled or changed directly through the embassy or consulates, but only by registering online at

Appointments wait times vary among different consulates in Italy and may be substantial during the summer season.  We encourage to apply early for a visa. Final travel plans or the purchase of non-refundable tickets should not be made until the visa is received.

Interview exemptions

An interview is generally not required for the following applicants, but the consular officer reserves the right to request an interview at any time with any applicant:

  • under 14 years of age,
  • 80 years of age or older,
  • Most applicants for diplomatic official visas (applicants for A-3, G-5, and NATO-7 must be interviewed)
  • Most visa renewals

If you have an unforeseen travel need, as per one of the criteria listed below, you may request an expedited appointment. You still need to schedule a regular appointment online at for the earliest available date, and then ask for an expedite appointment explaining the reasons for your request. The consular staff will evaluate your case and get back to you with an answer via email. Once at the interview you will be asked to present documentary evidence to prove the urgency.

Emergency situations include:

  • urgent medical treatment for the applicant or a close relative
  • death/funeral of a close relative
  • urgent business travel
  • students or exchange visitors who need to begin or resume a valid program of study starting before the first available appointment date
  • Urgent travel and ESTA denial if you are a citizen of a Visa Waiver Program country and
    1. are dual national of Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Sudan or Syria,
    2. or have traveled to Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Yemen, or Somalia after March 1, 2011,
    3. or have traveled to Cuba on or after January 12, 2021; or
    4. have received notice that you are no longer eligible to travel to the United States under that program. You should apply for a nonimmigrant visa well in advance of your desired travel. If your travel is imminent, you may request an expedited visa appointment at Please include in your request the date and purpose of your travel, as well as information from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection message you received regarding your ESTA status.

Applicants booking an appointment will be placed on an access list to be allowed entry into the Consular Section, not before the appointment time. All applicants must go through security screening before entering the consular building and no access will be granted to accompanying parties, including interpreters. Applicants should not bring large bags, backpacks, suitcases, baby carriages or any other large or bulky objects, as these items will not be allowed into the Consular Section, and there is no storage space at the Consulates General. Large personal electronic devices, such as laptop computers, are not allowed into the Consular Section nor permitted to be checked and stored with security. We strongly discourage bringing any other electronic devices, to include tablets/iPads, MP3 players, mobile phones, smart watches, etc. as these must be left with security and retrieved upon exit. This can create a delay for you. The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are not responsible for any article you leave with the security checkpoint.

Applicants for U.S. nonimmigrant visas for travel to the United States must pay a non-refundable visa processing fee. The amount varies according to the type of visa and must be paid online at prior to scheduling an appointment.

There are, however, some “no fee” visa categories, like certain “J” visas for official U.S. Government-sponsored educational and cultural exchanges, with a program serial number on the Form DS-2019 beginning with prefix G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7; i.e. Fulbright program, etc. .

These “No fee” visa applicants should email directly the consular section (Florence, Milan, Naples or Rome) where they want to apply in order to schedule an appointment.

Again, this is only for “No Fee” visa applicants.

Presentation of documents required does not guarantee issuance of a visa.
Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if the traveler has a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport, he or she may use it along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States. Attempting to obtain a visa by the willful misrepresentation of a material fact, or fraud, may result in the permanent refusal of a visa or denial of entry into the United States. If the consular officer should find it necessary to deny the issuance of a visa, the applicant may apply again if there is new evidence to overcome the basis for the refusal.

Nationals of certain countries, or recipients of certain types of visas, are required to pay visa issuance fees (called “Reciprocity Fees“) in addition to the mandatory visa application processing fee. The additional amount must be paid directly to the Consulate itself. The Consulate will advise applicants directly whenever such fees are due. Payments will only be accepted in US dollars, euro and with credit cards.

Beginning December 19, 2019, Italian nationals are subject to reciprocity fees to be paid at the consular section at the time of issuance for the following visa classifications:

  • E-1/E-2 (treaty traders, investors, and their spouses/children): $308
  • H-1B (persons in specialty occupations and their spouses/children): $168
  • L-1/L-2 (intracompany transferees and their spouses/children): $323
  • R-1/R-2 (religious workers and their spouses/children): $129

For more information, please see here.

A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has authority to deny admission. A visa is issued based on the nature of the travel. The length of stay is determined by the DHS at the time of entry.

As a general rule, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will exit the U.S., however, the U.S. has signed an agreement with a number of countries, including Italy, to waive this requirement. In such a case the passport must be valid for the entire period of the visitor’s intended stay, but the additional six month validity period is not required.

Travelers to the United States may be able to renew their visas without appearing at a U.S. embassy or consulate for an interview.

You may be qualified to receive a visa without an interview if you meet the following conditions:

  • You are seeking renewal in the same classification as your prior visa;
  • An embassy or consulate has collected all your fingerprints (10-print) from your prior visa;
  • Your nonimmigrant visa has expired within the last 48 months; and
  • You are applying in the same consular district where you reside.

Special consideration for F, M, and academic J visa applicants: Consular officers may now waive the visa interview requirement for F, M, and academic J visa applicants who were previously issued any type of visa, and who have never been refused a visa unless such refusal was overcome or waived, and who have no apparent ineligibility or potential ineligibility; or first-time F, M, and academic J visa applicants who are citizens or nationals of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), provided they have no apparent ineligibility or potential ineligibility.

Applicants who meet these conditions must create an account online at If qualified to apply for a visa without an interview, you must send the following documents:

  • Confirmation page of completed DS-160
  • One photo measuring 5cm x 5cm. The background of the photo must be white. No glasses.
  • Current passport and any expired passports with U.S. nonimmigrant visas that expired within the last 24 months.
  • Select home delivery via DHL or in-person pickup at a DHL facility at:
  • C1/D Visa: Current work contract or company letter
  • F, M Visas: Current I-20 and SEVIS payment receipt
  • J Visa: Current DS-2019 and SEVIS payment receipt

Mail the completed interview waiver package to the embassy or consulate of your region of residence:

Regions of Friuli, Liguria, Lombardia, Piemonte, Trentino Alto Adige, Valle d’Aosta, and Veneto
U.S. Consulate General Milan
Consular Section – Nonimmigrant Visa Unit
via Principe Amedeo, 2/10
20121 MILANO

Regions of Abruzzo, Lazio, Sardegna, Umbria, and Marche
U.S. Embassy Rome
Consular Section – Nonimmigrant Visa Unit
via Vittorio Veneto 121
00187 ROMA

Regions of Emilia Romagna, Toscana, and San Marino
U.S. Consulate General Florence
Consular Section – Nonimmigrant Visa Unit
Lungarno Vespucci, 38

Regions of Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Puglia, Sicilia, and Molise
U.S. Consulate General Naples
Consular Section – Nonimmigrant Visa Unit
Piazza della Repubblica
80122 NAPOLI

1) Can I travel to the US without a visa?

You can travel to the United States without a visa only if you meet all the requirements for the Visa Waiver Program. To check if you can travel under the Visa Waiver Program please follow this link:

2) Can you check if my passport is OK? Do I need ESTA?

We cannot check your passport.

To determine if your passport meets VWP requirements, please check here: or To answer your other questions about the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA, please visit the website:

Please refer to the Travel.State.Gov informational website to answer questions about travel under the Visa Waiver Program:

3) My passport expires in three months. Can I travel Visa Waiver if I come back before the passport’s expiration date?

To travel under the Visa Waiver Program your passport should have a 6 month validity beyond the date of exit from the United States. A traveler with an expired passport is ineligible for VWP admission.
For more details visit

4) My passport has expired, but I have a valid visa in it. Can I transfer the visa into my new passport?

Visas cannot be transferred from one passport to another. You can travel with your new passport together with your old one with the visa in it or else you can apply for a new visa by following the normal procedure as explained at: Visas

5) Do I need ESTA if I have a valid visa?

If you already have a B1/B2 or any other valid visa and you are traveling for the purpose for which it was issued, you do not need to apply for an ESTA authorization.

6) Do I need ESTA to enter the United States by land?

A Visa Waiver Program traveler at a land border is not required to possess a valid ESTA approval. If you are arriving by air or sea, you do need to apply for ESTA. Please refer to the Travel.State.Gov informational website to answer questions about travel under the Visa Waiver program:

7) How many times can I travel to the U.S.? Is there a set period of time I am required to remain outside the U.S. before returning?

There is no limit to the number of times you may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program in any given period. There is also no minimum period of time you are required to remain outside the U.S. before reapplying for admission. However, if you are a frequent traveler to the United States you should be sure to carry with you for presentation to U.S. Immigration evidence of your residence abroad to which you intend return at the end of your visit together with evidence of funds sufficient for your support while in the United States. If the immigration inspector is not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for business or tourism, you can be denied entry.

8) My ESTA was denied. What should I do now?

If your ESTA authorization was denied, you must apply for a visa. To access visa application information and/or to schedule appointments using the Self Service internet option, please go to and follow the instructions.

9) How long does it take to issue a visa?

In most cases average total processing time, including passport pass-back through the official courier, is between 5 and 7 working days from the day of the interview. However it is advisable for travelers to apply for their visas as early as possible in case additional processing time is required.

10) How long is a visa valid? How long can I stay in the United States?

Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. To check your visa validity please see the “Expiring Date” on the visa itself. The length of stay is determined by the DHS at the time of entry according to the type of visa and purpose of travel. For more details on this regard please see

11) I am not Italian. Can I apply for a visa in Italy?

Yes, you may. However, visa applicants are more likely to be successful in obtaining a visa if they apply in their home country or country of legal permanent residence rather than in a third country. The reason for this is because visa applicants are expected to provide evidence that they are intending to return to their country of residence after a temporary visit to the United States. Therefore, applicants can most likely provide proof of “binding” or sufficient ties if they apply in their home country or permanent residence abroad.

12) Can I work under the Visa Waiver Program?

No. You are not allowed to work in the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (meetings and conferences) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa, as long as they meet specific requirements.
Those who are seeking employment in the U.S. must apply for a specific visa. The Immigration and Nationality Act provides several categories of nonimmigrant visas for a person who wishes to work temporarily in the United States. Please visit

13) I just found a job in the U.S. Can I adjust my status from the VWP?

No. It is not possible to adjust status from the VWP. Travelers who have been granted access to the U.S. under the VWP must leave the country within 90 days. You can apply for a nonimmigrant temporary worker visa when you return to your country of residence.

14) Can I get a visa once in the U.S.?

No. You need to get your visa before traveling. A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to the U.S. as far as the port of entry (airport or land border crossing) and ask the immigration officer for permission to enter the country. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States. He or she decides how long you can stay for any particular visit.

15) I am an Italian military officer traveling with NATO travel orders. Do I need a visa?

Armed forces personnel (not family members) are exempt from visa requirements if they are attached to NATO Allied Headquarters in the United States and are traveling on official business, or are entering the United States under the NATO Status of Forces Agreement. In this case you must carry official military ID cards and NATO travel orders. When traveling in exempt status, such personnel would generally be entering the United States by military aircraft or naval vessel.

16) The barcode of my DS-160 form looks “broken”. Can I print the form again?

DS-160 forms with “broken” barcodes will not be accepted, so please DO PRINT the form again until you obtain a correct barcode.

17) I filled out and sent the online form DS-160. Now should I wait for your call?

No, nobody will call you. After inputting all required information, you must download and print the confirmation page of the DS-160 electronic form . Once you have printed the DS-160 confirmation page you need to register at and follow the instructions.

18) I am having technical problems with making my payment and/or registering for courier service, can you help me please?

The Embassy and/or Consulate is not responsible for technical issues with the electronic appointment/payment system. Please write an email summarizing your problem to the Contact Desk:

19) Do I need to attend an interview?

Most applicants between the ages of 14 and 79 (inclusive) must appear in person for an interview at a U.S. Consulate. Applicants younger than 14 or older than 79 who are neither citizens nor permanent residents of the country in which they are applying must also appear in person.
If you are applying for the same visa classification within 12 months of the expiration of your previous visa, and you have previously provided a full set of 10 fingerprints at a Consulate, you may be eligible for a waiver of the personal appearance/interview.

20) What happens if I cannot attend the interview on the appointment date? Can I give the appointment to someone else to attend instead?

If it is impossible to attend the interview on the date you scheduled you can reschedule your appointment through the online system at Another person cannot attend your appointment. The appointment is applicant-specific and non-transferable. Only the person(s) scheduled will be allowed to enter the Consulate.

21) Can I enter the United States on my student (F-1) or (M-1) visa, or exchange visitor (J-1) visa before school/ the exchange program begins?

U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations state that holders of F, M and J Nonimmigrant visas will not be admitted to the United States until a date 30 days or less prior to the beginning of your program date, or start date, as given on your form I-20 (for F or M visas) or DS-2019 (for J visas). Please consider that date carefully when making your travel plans to the United States.

22) Can I take a holiday after I have completed my studies/exchange program?

If you have an F-1 visa you may remain in the United States for up to 60 days at the end of your studies; if you have an M-1 visa you may remain for up to 30 days, or in total one year from your date of admission, whichever is shorter. Holders of J-1 visas may remain for up to 30 days. If you wish to remain longer, you will be required to apply for an adjustment of status from F-1/M-1/J-1 to B-2 with the Department of Homeland Security having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

23) I applied for a visa but my application was refused. Can I get my money back?

The application fee is for the processing costs and is therefore not refundable. If your application was refused under Section 214(b) and you choose to reapply for a visa, whether at this Embassy or elsewhere, you will be required to pay the application fee again.

24) My application was refused under Section 214(b). I wish to appeal against the decision/ I would like my case reviewed.

A written explanation of the reasons why you were unable to establish your eligibility for a visa was handed to you on the day of the visa interview. As your application has been refused under Section 214(b), there is no review process or appeal.
Once a case is closed the Consular Section cannot take any further action. If you feel that you omitted evidence material to the visa decision, the proper course of action is to reapply for a visa.

25) Does the E visa application package have to be limited to 80 pages, no exceptions?

Yes. Due to internet limitations and server capacity, we must limit you to only 80 pages on the initial submission. Experience has shown most successful E visa applicants can show what is required in 40 double sided pages. If we need more information, we will ask you or your attorney to bring these documents to your consular interview. Again, there is NO exception to the initial submission requirement. Packages which do not comply will not be accepted.

26) How a company can become a Vetted E visa enterprise?

Vetting a company is an internal process we use to identify those companies with which we have extensive experience. We know these companies well, are familiar with their business, track record and visa issuances from prior cases. There is nothing you can do to affect this list; it is an internal function only.

27) I don’t speak English or Italian.  How can I request that an interpreter accompany me to my visa appointment?

Due to security regulations, all individuals entering the Embassy or a Consulate must have an appointment.  To request that an interpreter accompany you to your visa appointment, please email the specific Embassy or Consulate (; or with the applicant’s information and appointment date as well as a copy of the interpreter’s passport biodata page.  This information must be sent to the Embassy or Consulate well in advance of the appointment date and the interpreter must bring his/her passport to the appointment.  Failure to provide the required information, may result in the interpreter being denied entry due to security limitations.

The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States.  We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known.  Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.

We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:

  • We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
  • We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
  • We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
  • We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
  • We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
  • We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
  • We will provide information on nonimmigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on
  • We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.

Furthermore, if you are a:

  • Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
  • Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
  • Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.

At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:

  • Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
  • Complete your application fully and accurately.
  • Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
  • Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.