ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization)

All travelers intending to go to the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) must obtain an ESTA authorization (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) BEFORE starting their trip.

The ESTA program is controlled by the Department of Homeland Security / Customs and Border Protection (DHS /CBP).

The ESTA authorization must be requested online and obtained at least 72 hours before the trip. However, we recommend you get the ESTA as soon as possible, since in case of refusal you would need to apply for a non-immigrant visa, a procedure that might require some time.

For ESTA application, information and procedures please visit the official website: available in many languages, including Italian.

Important note: If your passport has ever been reported lost or stolen to the authorities and then recovered, please do not attempt to use it for travel to the United States. If you input the passport details into ESTA, your application will be denied. Please consider replacing your passport before applying for ESTA.