Location: Eastern Sicily and Western Calabria
Event: The regions of Sicily and Calabria are on high alert for a potential Mediterranean tropical-like cyclone, also known as “medicanes”. In parts of Sicily schools, businesses, and public offices are closed. The storm is currently expected to make landfall Thursday, October 28, 2021, and continue through Friday, October 29, 2021. The region is still recovering from a recent medicane earlier this week. Expect heavy rains and strong winds with possible flooding, landslides, power outages and difficult travel conditions.
Actions to take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Avoid travel until the storm has dissipated.
- Visit the Italian Air Force Weather Service http://www.meteoam.it/ for updated storm tracking information.
- U.S. Consulate General – Naples, Italy
(+39) 081-583-8111; the fax number is (+39) 081-583-8275
- U.S. Embassy Rome’s website includes travel information and the Worldwide Caution and Demonstration Notices.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
by phone: +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Italy Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter